Sunday, September 20, 2009

placement and mail

I can’t believe I have only been gone for 3 weeks. It feels like a lot longer. Things are going really well here. Training is keeping me very busy, we are in class from 8:30 to 5 every week day. We learn technical skills about teaching ESL and have a lot of sessions about Micronesian culture. This past Wednesday I found out my site placement. I will be staying on the main island of Pohnpei. I will be working at an elementary school that has kindergarten to 8th grade with about 300 students teaching 7th and 8th grade English Language Arts. I will also be helping run a computer lab for all grades. Two of my good friends in training (Kate and Amber) are staying in Pohnpei too!!
The good thing about me being on a main island is that I will have somewhat regular access to the internet! I am only about 20 minutes outside of the capitol town that has an internet café type place. I would still love letters as I will have a lot of time on my hands on weeknights (besides lesson planning) to write back. And I will only check my email about once a month. My address will remain the same:

Erica Dunn, Peace Corps Trainee
P.O. Box 9
Kolonia, Pohnpei, FM 96941

And it only cost 44 cents to send a letter! I have received one from my sister and it only took about 10 days to get here. Also, if you are planning on sending me a package the best way to do it is use Domestic Flat Rate Boxes that cost about 11 or 13 dollars no matter how heavy they are. And just specify that it is Airmail or it could end up on a ship that only comes every few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment