Sunday, September 20, 2009

life here

So far I have been enjoying my time in Micronesia. I am staying with a host family until the end of training in November. They are very kind and have been incredible welcoming to me. I have 2 host sisters and 2 host brothers. Maylany, Madonna, DX and Enson. Maylany’s 3 year-old son, Kyle, also lives with us. And my host parents, Enerihko and Ehlinda. I have a 10 minute walk to our training site everyday. And on the weekends they have brought me to a local site of ancient ruins, Nan Madol and a nearby waterfall. After training I will be moving in with another host family at my permanent site.
My meals here mainly consist of rice and fish. White rice is the main component of every meal. With that I usually get a fried reef fish. Which I can now eat without swallowing too many bones. I have also had pork and chicken quite regularly. The weirdest things I have tried so far have been turkey tail and turtle. Turkey tail is not very good, it is mostly fat but turtle is delicious!
Some nights I go with my family to a local sakau market for community fundraising nights. Sakau is a local drink made from a pepper plant that everyone drinks. You can get drunk off of it, but it mostly mellows you out. I like drinking it but never really feel much different afterwards. At the fundraising events, everyone brings a few crops, skirts, pigs or other miscellaneous goods which are grouped together to make about 5 good prizes. Then everyone buys 25 cent raffle tickets to try to win. I have been 5 times, bought a lot of tickets, and never had any luck. My family won twice the other night though. The money made off the raffle tickets is going towards a community party that will be held on October 3rd. (or so I think… it seems like some nights the family that owns the market just makes money)

No comments:

Post a Comment