Saturday, September 5, 2009

in micronesia

i am in pohnpei! the flight from honolulu was long and tiring. the plane is called an 'island hopper' as it stops on 2 military islands in the Marshall Islands, Kosrae (an FSM state) then Pohnpei. It has 2 more stops after that before the final destination of Guam. Pohnpei is beautiful! And hot. And rainy. I have been here for about 24 hours and there has been 3-4 rainstorms lasting about 20-30 minutes each. So far I have had 2 meals at restaurants, of fried rice for dinner and eggs for breakfast. Once I am with a family I will be eating more traditional meals for sashimi and many varieties of bananas.
Just wanted to let everyone know that I am safe. The PC Staff is very helpful and friendly. Tomorrow (Monday) we move in with our host families in a more remote village on the island of Pohnpei. I will probably not have internet again for a few weeks. The next 3 weeks I will be in technical and cultural training.




jordan (college roommate) and i in honolulu



first view of Micronesia- Island of Kosrae from the plane



"downtown" kolonia (on Pohnpei island)

2 comments:

  1. Maybe take a picture of one of our newer two story buildings - the "picturesque" PUC warehouse-turned-into-office does so little for Kolonia's challenged image! The town is not exactly a quaint Caribbean island main town like a Christiansted, but it has its charms. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish had more time in Kolonia to do so! I just ran outside of the telecom and took a picture from the parking lot and posted it!

    ReplyDelete