Monday, November 16, 2009

week one

I have now been living at my permanent site for a little over one week. Just when I thought that I had adjusted to living in Micronesia, I was proven wrong. Not seeing other Americans on a daily basis is a big adjustment. Not having a jam packed schedule from 8AM to 6PM everyday is different. Not having snack time at our training site at 10AM and 3PM everyday is missed. And my status change from PCT (Peace Corps Trainee) to PCV (Peace Corps Volunteer) means that people expect a lot more of me, especially when it comes to speaking Pohnpeian. And speaking Pohnpeian in my language class is a lot different than it is out in the real world. My new host family and co-workers realize that I am not fluent, but they sure want me to be. So for every conversation I have, I need to decide if I am just going to nod along and laugh when it seems appropriate or ask for a translation. Translations are always given, but I can tell that people think that I should only need this for a little while. So one day soon, I will hopefully be able to hold my own in Pohnpeian.

Next week I will begin teaching and also celebrate my first Thanksgiving abroad! The Country Director has kindly invited all of the volunteers on Pohnpei to his house for dinner so I will be enjoying at least some American dishes (I think? I hope?).

Happy Thanksgiving! I'll be thinking of all of you!

1 comment: