Friday, November 6, 2009

I'm a Volunteer!

I am now officially a Peace Corps Volunteer. I was sworn in yesterday with the 9 other volunteers who make up Micro 76 Pohnpei. We are the 76th class of volunteers to serve in Micronesia since the Peace Corps came here in 1966. Our swear-in was held at our training center and our training host families, permanent host families, principals, co-teachers and the current volunteers all attended. Our country director and program assistant made short speeches and the country director gave us the oath of service. At the end we performed a traditional Micronesian stick dance. I have a video of it which I will hopefully be able to post soon.
I am very happy to be done with training and to begin my service. My house in my permanent community is very nice and it is great to be fully unpacked finally. Next week I will go to my school and meet my class! I am nervous but I am not going to begin teaching right away, I will observe for a few weeks to see what the kids know and what they need help with. We also have Monday and Wednesday off next week, so it is good to know I will be eased in to the school week. Pohnpei has a lot of holidays in November. :)
I will write again soon about how my first week at school went. Today I am meeting up with the volunteers who are leaving for outer islands on Monday to say goodbye. We won't see each other for at least 3 months and probably will not be able to talk either.

No comments:

Post a Comment