Thursday, October 15, 2009

birthday

I'm 23!! I realizes that this may have been my first birthday spent outside of New York. At least that I can remember. Nonetheless, I had a great birthday here in Pohnpei. On Friday the trainees in my group had a card and chocolate cake (with icing!) for me. And on Saturday, Kate, Amber, Ruthanne (trainees) and Morgan (Pohnpeian friend) went to Nan Madol for the day. Nan Madol is a site of ancient ruins near our village that also has a great swimming spot. The funniest part of the day was probably the hour walk home (which included an unplanned hike down a mountain). Kate was not expecting this part of the adventure and made it clear the whole way through the jungle/path. I too, was complaining in fear on twisting my ankle on the steep hill. Little did we know that Morgan had actually taken us this way because it was a great shortcut! (**Please see Amber's blog for a much better account of this journey... on the bottom right of my page) My birthday was made complete on Sunday by calls with my mom and sisters.
Thank you to everyone who sent me birthday cards, letters and packages! I am still receiving them. Miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment